Caravan Holidays Travel And Freedom
If you like to travel but you like even more the feeling of freedom, the solution is obvious: a caravan. Long ago travelling by caravan meant giving up your comfort, nowadays this is not an issue. The ‘home on wheels’ gives you the wonderful feeling of freedom and security unique as well as all the comfort you need.
The desire for freedom, the atmosphere associated with the caravan hitched up to the back of the car and the smell of food cooked in the warm air of a beach campsite are the elements that make people love this way of holidaying and travelling.
No matter if the taste for travelling by caravans was raised by the memories of the excitement of arriving at the campsite when you were a child or by the need of coming back to the roots when people where travelling free, the enthusiasm of caravanners is infectious. The caravan offers a return to simpler holiday pleasures.
By returning to the origins of caravans and caravanning, you can find this way of travelling at gypsies and showmen who spent most of their lives in horse drawn caravans. Another historic fact for the story of caravans is that the world’s first leisure caravan was built by the Bristol Carriage Company in 1880 for Dr. W. Gordon-Stables. It was an 18 ft design, based upon their Bible Wagons, which the Doctor named “Wanderer”.
Now anybody can buy a modern caravan. Of course there are different sizes, from tiny two-berth caravans with no toilet and only basic kitchen facilities, to large, twin-axle, six-berth caravans with all the luxuries of a four-star hotel.
In the last 2-3 years the popularity of caravans and caravanning increased in the UK, maybe due to the excellent summer weather, the fear of travelling abroad due to worries over terrorism, large increases in house prices, which provided people with the ability to raise capital by re-mortgaging their homes or just the need for a simpler holiday and more freedom. No doubt one of the reasons for the growth in popularity of caravanning has also been enhanced by the improvements in quality and facilities making caravan holidays possible at any time of the year not just summer months.
The features of a typical mid-range, modern caravan should be: Gas/Electric powered refrigerator, Gas/Electric powered stove, oven and grill, Gas/Electric powered water heater, one or more beds, some of which double-up as daytime seating, electricity supplied by battery or external hookup, toilet with removable disposal tank and flush-water tank, shower, Radio, TV aerial/satellite dish. They may also contain the following: Air, External barbecue points, Tow hitch stabilizers, CD players, awning or screen room, clothes washer and dryer, microwave.
Fulltime Rv Living Choosing The Best Mobile Accommodation
Be it suburbia or the outdoors, lifestyle is very much influenced by our personality, our needs, and — perhaps most of all — our budget. Fortunately, in affluent countries like Australia, the diverse range of mobile accommodation options allows us to travel virtually anywhere we choose both comfortably and economically.
What suits me, though, is not necessarily going to be your first choice, nor are your preferences likely to match those of your close friends or relatives. Result is, all segments of the camping and RV markets are doing quite nicely.
Of course, at the budget end of the accommodation spectrum, tents are always high on the short-list of options, particularly for lovers of true outdoor freedom. On the other hand there are those who simply must have a few creature comforts, while still maintaining some degree of independence. This latter group is likely to opt for either a fully appointed caravan/travel trailer, or motorhome.
For the rest of us, somewhere along that cost/comfort scale our ideal niche is there to be found. Keep in mind, however, “ideal” is really a sneaky way of saying “acceptable compromise”. After all, no matter what your choice — tent, tent trailer, camper trailer, caravan, campervan, or motorhome — compromise will be necessary between the key deciding factors of cost, comfort, self-sufficiency and mobility. The trap is, only you can balance that mix!
Nevertheless, to help you identify your personal niche, here are a few of the essential differences between the popular options among nomadic travellers today:
Camping under canvas has always attracted a strong (and growing) band of devotees. Tents are relatively inexpensive, available in a vast range of sizes and complexities, and allow the outdoor lover to retain complete freedom, flexibility and mobility.
With tenting, though, the biggest drawbacks are the time it takes to get your camp set up, and the relative vulnerability to weather extremes. Together with sleeping, cooking and other equipment, a lot of vehicle space is required, and frequent changes of location become quite a chore with daily set-ups and pack-ups.
Moving up the budgetary scale, tent trailers might be your next consideration. These are essentially a small trailer with a built-on, collapsible frame-tent. Generally, they are more robust than regular tents, far easier to erect, and your bed (and some floor area) is raised above the ground. With a raft of optional awnings and add-ons, a tent trailer can become a canvas castle!
Keep in mind, though, towing a trailer of any kind does impact, to some degree, on campsite accessability, although heavy-duty and “off-road” models minimise this effect (especially if towed by a 4×4).
Another advantage is the freeing up of most of your vehicle load space, although you should also anticipate a quantum jump up the financial scale. (But if you already own a sturdy box-trailer, it may be adaptable.)
Even a low-spec camper trailer represents a further — significant! — hike in potential outlay over tent trailers (though the huge second-hand market is worth exploring). Even so, you stand to gain a considerable boost in comfort levels, particularly for long-term camps or extended touring.
Certainly, camper trailers still require setting up in camp, but this is a fairly quick and painless operation. Towing, too, remains reasonably stress-free considering their low profile and lighter weight compared with full-size caravans. Even so, bush mobility and manoeuvrability does suffer over tent or tent trailer outfits. And don’t forget those extra costs, such as insurance, registration, and increased fuel consumption.
For long-term or fulltime nomadic lifestyles, a full-size motorhome provides optimum comfort, convenience and all-round security. No towing is involved, while driving and parking is a breeze (except in very narrow streets and parking lots). Making camp, and moving off in the morning, is the easiest of all possible options.
Their main disadvantage is the high cost (in motorhome rather than campervan configuration), and the fact that every time you move — even to the store for milk or bread — you have to pack-up your “home”. And if repairs become necessary out on the road, you may be faced with motel costs.
Little brother of the motorhome, the campervan, has a similar set of pros and cons but is far less expensive to buy and operate, and considerably easier to get about in. For two people they represent an excellent all-round compromose for long-term touring, but get very “tight around the shoulders” for a fulltime lifestyle.
For the best balance of all between space, comfort and security, it’s hard to beat a reasonable size caravan/travel trailer. For lengthy stays at a “base camp”, while getting out and about in your car or 4×4, they are ideal. There are sizes, makes and models to suit most family needs and all budgets. And the pre-loved market is endless.
Here again, though, mobility on backtracks can be greatly curtailed (even with some of the 4×4-rated rigs), and generally speaking, driving is more tiring, costly and slower. Visits to major towns, with tricky parking or tight turn-arounds, often become a real pain in the tailpipe.
So what do I recommend? Well, unfortunately there’s no simple answer! For example, depending on our plans, our camping and travelling alternates between lightweight touring (sleeping in our 4×4), and towing our home — a 16 foot caravan. Every so often, we use a canvas tent for lengthier bush camps while visiting the high country.
To my mind, there is no “one-size-fits-all” solution. But if you’re planning to embark on a fulltime traveling lifestyle, my advice would be to identify — and carefully examine — your personal needs and aspirations, then set yourself up to suit the destinations and activities of most interest.
Best part is, you have plenty of options.
- Jayco Jay Flight Dst : Original Black Jayco Jay Flight Dst Image
- Book Of Jayco Pop Up Camper Instructions In Spain By Isabella
- 29 creative Jayco 5th Wheel Toy Hauler
- Toyota Sienna Minibus With Innovative Photos In Singapore
- 23 brilliant Jayco Reversing Camera
- Jayco Jay Flight Caravan: Brilliant Blue Jayco Jay Flight Caravan Innovation
- 31 lastest Jayco Hummingbird Baja Edition
- 22 beautiful Toyota Minibus Price In India
- Winnebago For Sale In Spain With New Trend
- Jaycob Brugman First Hit With Original Images
- Toyota Minivan Price In India With Unique Images In Us
- 28 excellent Winnebago Rv Forums
- 23 beautiful Jayco Jay Flight Insulation
- 22 cool Jayco Rv Dealers In Alabama
- 31 model Jayco Seneca Specs
- Book Of Winnebago Brave D18 For Sale In Canada By Michael
- Book Of Jayco Eagle Sl In Uk By Emma
- Book Of Winnebago Aspect Diesel In Singapore By Liam
- Winnebago Fuse Spare Tire With Brilliant Images
- Jayco Eagle Outback Setup With Unique Type
- Jayco Jay Flight Slx Baja Edition : Model Black Jayco Jay Flight Slx Baja Edition Example
- 30 beautiful Winnebago For Sale Bc
- 26 new Jayco Eagle Camping World
- Book Of Winnebago Minnie Lite In Spain By Sophia
- Book Of Jayco Expanda Outback For Sale Qld In Uk By Isabella
- 25 original Winnebago Micro Minnie Generator
- 27 popular Winnebago Lesharo Craigslist
- 28 new Jayco Eagle Awning Instructions
- Winnebago Micro Minnie Houston With Excellent Image
- Winnebago Vista For Sale With Simple Picture
- 29 elegant Winnebago For Sale
- Winnebago Travato Modifications With Beautiful Images
- Book Of Jayco Pop Up Camper Stove In South Africa By Jacob
- Book Of Winnebago Rv Helpline In Germany By Jacob
- Winnebago Yacht Club With Luxury Images
- 27 cool Jayco Toy Hauler 2018
- Book Of Winnebago Micro Minnie With Bunk In Singapore By Mia
- Winnebago Rialta 2017 : Amazing Purple Winnebago Rialta 2017 Style
- 22 unique Winnebago View Users Group
- 29 cool Jayco Expanda Nz
- 23 unique Jayco Rv Dealers Near Me
- Book Of Jayco Expanda Buy In South Africa By Emily
- 25 lastest Jayco Swan Weight
- Book Of Toyota Minivan Previa In Ireland By Emily
- 30 innovative 2004 Winnebago Journey
- Book Of Winnebago Rv Air Conditioner In Thailand By Emily
- Jayco Caravans Dubbo : Lastest Yellow Jayco Caravans Dubbo Inspirational
- Book Of Windsor Caravans Hybrid In Singapore By Jacob
- Winnebago Destination 39fb With Wonderful Styles
- 22 lastest Jayco Caravans Logo
- Winnebago Travato Engine With Popular Style
- Book Of Jayco Jay Feather 19h In Thailand By Mia
- 25 elegant Jayco Eagle Ht 26.5bhs
- Winnebago Aspect Reviews With Beautiful Style In Thailand
- Book Of Jayco Swan Campervan In Spain By James
- New Age Caravans Logo : Cool Black New Age Caravans Logo Photos
- 25 original Windsor Caravans New
- Winnebago B Class Rv : Perfect Pink Winnebago B Class Rv Styles
- 23 original Jayco Eagle Water Tank Capacity
- Toyota Minivan In Japan With Elegant Images In Uk
- 26 lastest Jayco Pop Up Camper Dimensions
- Book Of Winnebago Graveyard Image In Thailand By Emily
- 21 elegant Winnebago Brave Mpg
- 30 beautiful Winnebago Scout Reservation
- 21 creative Jayco Jay Feather X23b For Sale
- Book Of Jayco Eagle Rlts In Ireland By Olivia
- Winnebago Fuse Problems With Elegant Example In India
- 30 lastest Winnebago View Motorhomes For Sale
- Windsor Caravans Dealers With Fantastic Minimalist
- 29 fantastic Winnebago Via Canada
- 25 elegant Jayco Caravans East Tamaki
- Book Of Winnebago Rv Dealers In Texas In Canada By Sophia
- Jayco Eagle Camper Trailer Reviews With Perfect Inspiration In Thailand
- Jayco Eagle Innerspring Mattress : Original Yellow Jayco Eagle Innerspring Mattress Photo
- 31 luxury Jayco Pop Up Camper Lift Cables
- Windsor Caravans Penrith : Innovative White Windsor Caravans Penrith Innovation
- Book Of Winnebago Brave Wiki In Uk By Michael
- Jayco Travel Trailers Houston With Awesome Type In Ireland
- Winnebago Touring Coach Travato With Beautiful Type In Us
- Book Of Jayco Caravans Tingalpa In India By William
- 23 amazing Winnebago Travato Bike Rack
- Book Of Winnebago Via Review 2016 In Spain By William
- 26 creative Coromal Caravans For Sale Queensland
- Jayco Toy Hauler 2017 With Wonderful Creativity
- 21 elegant Jayco Expanda Manual
- Book Of Winnebago Brave Gas Mileage In Canada By Noah
- 29 new Winnebago Nullarbor For Sale
- 30 amazing Winnebago Travato 59k
- Jayco Expanda For Sale Adelaide With Creative Innovation In Canada
- Jayco Hummingbird Floor Plans : Wonderful Orange Jayco Hummingbird Floor Plans Minimalist
- Book Of Winnebago Journey Express In Ireland By Mia
- Jayco Rv Backup Camera With Wonderful Images
- Winnebago Minnie Value Package With Brilliant Minimalist
- Jayco Seneca Canada With Beautiful Innovation
- 25 luxury Jayco Annex Walls For Sale
- 29 model Winnebago Rv Dealers In Indiana
- Jayco Baja Toy Hauler With Wonderful Picture
- 24 brilliant Jayco Swan Images
- Winnebago View Motorhome Floor Plans : Perfect Gray Winnebago View Motorhome Floor Plans Innovation
- Winnebago Brave Decals With New Creativity